Monday, May 17, 2010

Just another thought on facebook

I know I've had my rants about the facebook. I know my friends are sick of hearing about my general dislike of social media. But I feel like I might actually have a reasonable qualm here. This last weekend, the daughter of a fellow facebooker sent me the "please publicly acknowledge that you know me" request. Accepting the request prompted me to peruse, if you will, my new FB friend. What I found there were several discussions between she and her family about a current situation at home. Not that it wasn't uplifting and nice to read the numerous supportive statements being shared between mother, father and child; it was.

I just found myself asking the question "Is this a conversation better suited for closed doors?" and further, "Are you continuing this conversation at home?"

For the most part, I just feel like this very personal conversation is none of my business. I feel like I've stumbled upon something that I shouldn't have and my initial reaction is to close the window and look away. But then once I remind myself that these folks have posted all of this on a very public forum on purpose and it just makes me feel uneasy.

Why does this even happen? Is it out of laziness? Perhaps writing her on her facebook is easier than having to see her face when you talk about a very sensitive subject. But if that's the case, why not write a private message? I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment